Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Going to the Library...Post Graduating

Finally a college graduate of the University of Michigan, I went to my local public library with my mom today. Big deal...right? I never was a person who liked to read; not that I don't read at all. Books just aren't entertaining as say video games or movies. I'll pick up a book every now and then, but it's going to have to be a damned good book for me to read it.

"Well, why don't you go read the classics then? They're classic for a reason..."

Yeah I technically did for awhile in high school. I took an upper level English course that required you to do at least three book reports from a given list of classic novels. I have to admit, some of them were okay. I guess it's good to read because it gets you thinking about stuff, but I was never really a person that was inclined to think. A few things I learned through the years in those classes: Existentialism is pretty neat outlook on life, Jane Austen books have definitely not stood the test of time, Shakespeare is still in love..and ballin', and sparknotes and Cliff Notes are your best friends.

Perhaps these English classes finally got me to hate reading after all. On a consistent basis our class was pushed to read a novel within a week, have a fair idea of the book to discuss within class, and to write some impromptu essay relevant to the respective piece. I can say that I probably developed my notorious procrastinating skills from those days. I would read a whole novel and write some half-ass 6-8 page critical analysis paper about that novel in one night. Eh, I managed to finish them all on time, so why not keep that procrastination train rolling?

Anyhow, as a currently unemployed college graduate, I went to the library with my mom to check out some books. Living in the suburbs of metro-Detroit, there's not much of anything to do anywhere. I kind of went in with the goal of getting some kind of book to help me out with my "career options". I sought out an HTML book and did some fairly light reading while my mom went to look for her usual cooking/haircutting books.

As I was in the library skimming through my book, I finally realized how much I didn't like books. If I didn't have a practical reason to be at the library, (e.g homework, group projects, research papers, etc.) I would so not be there. Luckily, my mom had some books to return, so I just tagged along for the ride.

It completely surprises the hell out of me why I was able to work at a library for 8 months, let alone 1 week. I guess we're in those times where it really is a case of where "beggars can't be choosers". Shelving books, shifting them around, making sure books are in order; I can't believe I was able to tolerate that much boredom. I guess I was lucky I was able to find some interesting old reads about how drinking more water on a daily basis will extend life expectancy (eh worked in a med lib. with some really..I mean really old books).

So what's the entire point of this random tangent? Umm, well...

1. I don't love books nor do I hate them--it's "Complicated"
2. I won't step foot in a library unless it has CDs and DVDs to check out and...
3. Picture books still rock. (I'm gonna go find a copy of Dr Seuss's Hop on Pop)

No comments: